The Singapore Airlines Stopover Holiday Package is well worth knowing about if you’re passing through Singapore for a few days which we highly recommend. It allows you to enjoy the beautiful city of Singapore while also saving a heap of money! The official webpage for NZ/AU travellers can be found by clicking here. It’s not the easiest deal to get your head around however so I wanted to provide some extra info.
Important to know: You need to be traveling through Singapore exclusively with Singapore airlines and you need to book a (discounted) hotel through the deal to qualify (see here for a current list of hotel pricing in NZ$). So if you book with Singapore Airlines and then one of your flights changes to another carrier before you can book your SSH (e.g. from Singapore Airlines to Air NZ like ours did) you need to look in to this ASAP as this will impact your eligibility (not cool Singapore Airlines).
It’s also worth noting that you don’t need to book through a travel agent as we did to take advantage of this deal and it includes airport transfers to and from the qualifying hotels. You can add it on to your Singapore flights through the Singapore Airlines login (during or after purchasing your flights) as per this demo. This will provide you with an electronic receipt that you need to show at the SSH Desk at the airport (Terminal 3) and again at your hotel. More info can be found in the Hotel and Transport Arrangements tab here.
Here’s also a full list of attractions that you get one-time access to as an NZ/AU visitor (with an itinerary originating in NZ or AU) within the duration of your pass (as of May 2015) which I have listed by level of coolness (first experienced and then perceived*):
- Universal Studios Singapore – the highlight of the SSH deal! Bring jandals/shoes you don’t mind getting wet when the rain buckets down at 3ish (and then stops and everything keeps going). Our fav rides were the Mummy and Transformer rides (some rides don’t allow any loose items (e.g. the mummy ride) so if you don’t have a friend/family member to look after your stuff you can use the lockers which are free for the first 45min but pricey after that).
- Singapore Zoo – well worth at least half a day’s visit but check out the show and feeding times first
- Gardens by the Bay– well worth checking out, especially the amazing super trees!
- SIA Hop-on bus – unlimited rides but this only does the city loop, not out to Sentosa or to the zoo
- Singapore Cable Car – a cool way to get to Sentosa
- Singapore Flyer – think the London Eye but bigger and free!
- Jurong Bird Park*
- Singapore River Cruise*
- Singapore Philatelic Museum*
- Chinatown Walking Tour*
- The Original Singapore Walks*
- National Orchid Garden*
- Malay Heritage Centre*
- Singapore Food Trail @ Singapore Flyer*
- Alive Museum*
- Singapore Pub Crawl*
- Makansutra Gluttons Bay*
- Sentosa Island Activities – includes free admission to Sentosa Island itself